Post title is first which a reader sees and keeping it ordinary lessen the chances that user will go through your article. It gives the first and brief information about the content the user is going to read. So keeping a good informative and caching title will attract more audience for you. However, there are some basic guidelines you should consider before selecting an appropriate title for your post.
- Keep an informative title. Never post any article without any title. Keep it informative and true to the content. Try taking it from the article itself if you have written the article and thinking about the title. Never put a blank title since it naturally reduces the reach of the article. Keeping it informative means selecting an article in context of what you have written.
- Keep it descriptive. Don't just put a lame one word title for your post. Keep it descriptive. It should give an insight of the content which is presented to the reader. Writing a complete post on body building and giving a title "body building" will make it a common thing for the readers. You can rather give a brief idea of whether you are going to discuss an exercise or about the eating habits.
- Think about the search engines. Imagine yourself as a reader, and you are searching for the contents in the post you have written / going to write. What are the words you gonna put in the search query for that content. Thinking about it will give you an idea about the title to put on for your texts. Titles are the first thing in a post a search engine looks for. So, keeping in mind the search engines boosts up your SEO practices and your organic traffic.
- Avoid long titles. Long titles will be truncated in search engine results. Don't put a very long title. You have the body of the content to write anything long. Don't do that in the title section only. Keep it short and true to the content. Avoid misleading titles.
- Avoid repeated titles. Don't use a single title for more than one post. Keeping similar titles for all your post makes it impossible for the user to distinguish one content from another. Select a different title for each page. A blog with tile "Blogging basics" on several posts will create a mess for the reader to distinguish one article from the another. Do you want that?
- Avoid keyword stuffing. Just for the shake of being discovered by search engine, some people put same words in titles. Avoid such steps. Its better to have some descriptive words in your title but that doesn't mean you put the same words in the same title. This can make your stuff look spammy or fake to user.